Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

This October 1-3 I had the amazing opportunity to participate in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for The Cure in San Francisco, CA. It was my sixth year being a part of the Sports Medicine team that provides care for the walkers, crew, and staff of the 3-Day. In 2004 I did the event as a chiropractic intern while I was finishing up my clinical internship. In 2006 I was asked to be the Sports Medicine team captain and also lead the group of Palmer West interns as a clinician. I have volunteered in that role since 2006.
The Sports Medicine tent at the 2010 event.
It is so great to be a part of this event. Our goal, everyone participating in the event, is to help find an end to breast cancer, because everyone deserves a lifetime. The spirit of the walkers and crew during those three days is magical and contagious. Indeed, coming off the "high" on Monday after the event can be a shock to your system. This year I was lucky enough to have my wife, my mother, and both my in-laws volunteering with me. Thank you guys!


The real reason I am writing this post is that I want to see the goal of ending breast cancer become a reality. I believe that if we all work together that goal is possible. To that end, we would love to have you as part of next year's event in San Francisco. If you would like to be a part of crew that would be fantastic and lots of fun. There are many different crews from medical to food service to route hydration. You don't have to have any special training, just a servant heart and the desire to be a part of a huge group of happy, smiling people.


If you would like to be a walker you will want to join a team to make the process of training, getting ready, and walking the event, one of fellowship with other cool people. There is a team local to the Los Gatos area that has been doing the event for years. They are a great group of people, tons of fun, and full of heart. Cathy Haire coordinates the team named "WalkersforKnockersSF" and I know she would love to have you join her team. The upcoming event is September 9 - 11, 2011. Here is the link to sign up on Cathy's team: http://www.the3day.org/goto/WalkersforKnockersSF. If you register before November 23, 2010 and put in the code CURE2011 you will receive $35 off the normal registration fee of $90.


If you can't make it to the event and would still like to be a part of the cure, you can make a tax-deductible donation by following this link: Susan G. Komen 3-Day for The Cure Donation. If you have any specific questions about being part of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day team in any capacity please feel free to email me: DrBP@me.com.


Here's looking forward to the 2011 event and a world without breast cancer! 


Dr. Brant Pedersen (DC)

No comments:

Post a Comment